We have been reducing the amount of dairy we eat in our whole family as we all found that we felt better with less of it. One of the things I found hard to do without though is yoghurt as my son absolutely loves it in his lunch box with some berried and drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of muesli.
After playing around with a few different recipes, I found this one to have the best taste and consistency.
If you prefer thicker, Greek style yoghurt, transfer the yogurt to a strainer lined with cheesecloth and set over a bowl and allow to strain overnight.
Serve with honey, berries, tasty toasted muesli, nuts, seeds or maple syrup.
- 4 cups (1 litre) tinned coconut milk
- 1 3/4 teaspoons grass-fed gelatin (I use Great Lakes)
- 3 tablespoons yogurt from previous culture (or you could purchase a yogurt starter from any good health food shop)
- Pour the coconut milk into a medium saucepan.
- Heat to 45ºC.
- Remove from the heat.
- While whisking, slowly pour in gelatin and continue to whisk until dissolved.
- Cool mixture to 40ºC. Whisk in yogurt.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar and pop the lid on.
- Put the yoghurt into the oven with the light on and leave for 6 hours. DO NOT TURN ON THE OVEN!
- After 6 hours, put the yoghurt into the fridge for a further 6 hours. The yogurt will become thicker as it chills.
- Keep coconut yogurt refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.